[squid-users] SMP mode and StoreID rewriter

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jan 11 04:30:45 UTC 2018

On 01/10/2018 06:31 PM, Ivan Larionov wrote:

> I just wanted to make sure it's ok to see store_id_program started for
> every child or may be it's sort of a bug.

It is "sort of a bug" -- Squid should not start store_id_program (and
many other helpers!) for some kids. Many Squid features are not made
SMP-aware yet, and features that "work fine" in SMP mode are often
ignored by developers and their sponsors. Quality patches welcome!

Ideally, workers should even be able to share helper processes, but that
is a huge change compared to simply not starting unnecessary helpers.

> May be it should be started only for "worker" or only for "disk"?

Yes, only for "worker" IIRC: Diskers do not deal with HTTP, and Store ID
is an HTTP-request-to-Store-ID translator.