[squid-users] Help with UA filtering in https connections

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jan 3 17:38:34 UTC 2018

On 03.01.18 08:55, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>Yes, or, to be more precise, they (together with ssl_bump rules) allow
>fetching of any server certificate from a reasonable(*) port. They do
>not allow HTTP requests to arbitrary safe ports. Only Squid-generated
>TLS handshakes.

>> which is apparently not what was wanted/expected.
>
>Why not?

because there can be many reasons to deny CONNECT request for example
destined to localhost or internal network.

in the default config, these directives are at the beginning, before
checking for allowed clients and destinations is done.

in the provided config:
http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2017-December/017267.html

there are no deny directives before "http_access allow SSL_port"
and so it's quite possible that all clients that should not have access will
be allowed.

of course, there MAY be other directives or measures to avoid that
but I really think it's better to put "deny CONNECT !SSL_ports"
than allow CONNECT and later wonder why some requests are not

>> that in this case you can[not] deny the connect request later,
>
>Denying CONNECTs at step1 does not really work well in a general case
>because, during SslBump step1, Squid does not have enough information to
>generate the right certificate for the access denial error page.

I don't think this matters when we do have "http_access deny CONNECT" in
both cases.

>In a general case, the admin has to pick between two evils:
>
>* Allow TLS handshakes with arbitrary servers on TLS ports (my sketch)
>
>* or tell Squid to respond with error pages that the user cannot see
>  (without bypassing browser security warnings).
>
>Which evil is lesser is up to the admin to decide. Needless to say,
>there are environments where both strategies should be used, depending
>on the transaction parameters.
>

>(*) We should allow CONNECTs to SSL_ports, not Safe_ports. I hope my
>sketch did not use those ACLs.

I'm afraid you did.
+and I'm also afraid that your proposal also prevents us from disabling
CONNECTs later:

http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2017-December/017268.html

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.