[squid-users] Proxy hierarchy and FTP access

Sticher, Jascha jascha.sticher at tds.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 28 10:06:51 UTC 2018

Hi,

> I'm setting up a new infrastructure for my web proxy and I'm having a
> problem with FTP access to the internet; I'm running Squid 3.5 on Debian 9
> machines by the way.
>
> I used to have a single Squid machine talking freely to the internet from
> inside the LAN, with clients connecting on port 3128 for HTTP request and 21
> for FTP using FileZilla with "FTP proxy" options enabled.
> The relevant part of my Squid configuration is the following, and everything
> worked like a charm:
>
> ftp_port 21
> acl FTP proto FTP
> acl siti_ftp dstdomain "/etc/squid/ftp_sites"
> http_access allow FTP ftp_sites
>
> Then for security purposes I've set up a second Squid machine, in our DMZ,
> to act as a cache parent for the LAN machine, but now FTP only works
> through
> a browser; I've tried enabling the ftp_port directive on the parent machine,
> disabling it in the LAN one and a bunch of other stuff but nothing seems to
> be working.

This is exactly my setup right there and I came with the same question to this mailing list.

Sadly, the is no support for an explicit FTP-forwarding proxy at the moment and no development to implement this as far as I know.

> For reference, the parent grants access to the chil proxy thanks to this
> setting:
> acl child_proxy src 10.9.10.X/32
> http_access allow child_proxy

This is for HTTP-Pakets only. When using FTP via the browser you are actually using ftp over http, which uses the 3128 port on your client-side proxy.

When using a FTP client with a FTP proxy you are connecting via native FTP, which does not use the cache_peer settings (as those only support HTTP messages) I'm guessing
you use to access the parent proxy.

See http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/FTP-proxy-chain-with-native-ftp-td4684366.html for the suggested workarounds from my thread.

Kind regards,

Jascha

Erleben Sie Industrie 4.0 konkret – auf der HANNOVER MESSE.
Vom 23. bis 27. April 2018.
www.fujitsu.com/de/microsite/hmi/register/index.html?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Signature%20EMail&utm_campaign=HANNOVER%20MESSE%20DE&utm_term=&utm_content=Ticket-anfordern