[squid-users] Advice - Squid Proxy

Squid users squidusers at daltontech.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 17:21:59 UTC 2018

> So, Squid is installed on an Ubuntu VM, which runs on your laptop?
Correct

> So, the phone is either - direct connection via mobile Internet access, or via Squid and your home Internet connection - no way for the phone to use the Internet connection without going via Squid?
Yeah - however I use bitdefender on top of squid. Once the phone detects and connects to my laptop it then uses the proxy server

> Configured it in Squid, so users have to authenticate there to get access?
Yeah - I have an ACL running in Squid

> So, where do any other devices (phone, TV, the three VMs) get their IP addresses from?  They must have them, otherwise they couldn't communicate with Squid...  What do these devices have as a gateway address?
I use dhcp allocated from ubuntu, the gateway address that’s broadcast is my Ubuntu address.

 I'm writing this and thinking I've gone a bit Orwellian. Still I think I've covered the bases. I was toying with the idea of running Asterix off my laptop too, but I figured I'd start with this project.