[squid-users] What happens when duplicate external_acl_type are mentioned

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Dec 1 10:11:00 UTC 2018

On 1/12/18 6:32 pm, Amish wrote:
> QUESTION:
> ----------
>
> Effectively squid.conf now has two external_acl_type lines with same
> name. (ipuser)
>
> First one has %ul and other one does not.
>
> From my tests - first one gets the priority and second one is ignored by
> squid.
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) Can I assume this to be always true?

Now that you have found the lack of error message on startup one will be
added. It has not been a serious problem, so we are unlikely to make it
more than an ERROR message and explicitly ignore the second (time will
tell tough).

> 2) Can there be a case where second gets called instead of first?

Yes. They are looked up by name when processing the config ACLs on
startup/reconfigure. The one found may change on any restart,
reconfigure, or after changes to any lines referencing their shared name.

> 3) Can I expect this assumption to remain the same in future too?

No. It is undefined behaviour of the config parser, any change to the
ACL parts of that code might change it unexpectedly.