[squid-users] Git tag strategy in Squids GitHub repo

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Aug 24 11:50:21 UTC 2018

On 24/08/18 8:41 PM, Simon Staeheli wrote:
>> FWIW, in March 2018 email to Amos, I have already tried to explain the design approach behind git tagging and offered a specific short-term tagging solution. I did not get a response.

Ah, sorry I forgot or did not realize you were waiting on that.

The next opportunity I had for tagging the release checkouts was 4.2
which got tagged with SQUID_4_2 accordingly for PR 272.

As you can see that tag still does not exist in the master repository.

> @Amos, according to squid-caches GitHub commit history it looks like as you are doing the releases. Would it be possible to come up with a proper git tagging solution?

I am officially the maintainer, yes.

> Maybe the one proposed by Alex in March or even your own?

Alex "proposal" was to teach me about the git command line option(s) to
push tags to the repository. Which has worked fine .. for the repo I was
using. It has not helped with the public github one you are using.

The Anubis bot gateways all changes to the master repository - so to me
it seems like a reasonable place to be handling the issue of some PR
needing to be tagged as release. Especially since they have scripted
content that can be checked for.
 I'd rather have Anubis do the tagging than pulling in random tags from
any contributors repos.