[squid-users] Git tag strategy in Squids GitHub repo

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Aug 22 14:50:56 UTC 2018

On 08/21/2018 09:05 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 21/08/18 11:22 PM, Simon Staeheli wrote:
>> It would be awesome if there is tag pointing to every official Squid release.

> our auto-commit bot the QA team came up with does not do tagging.

Very true. It also does not water plants.

> And tags from third-party repositories (ie my release staging
> one) are not imported by the github PR process.

True again and still irrelevant. GitHub does not import lightweight tags
when merging PRs because those tags are not a part of a PR branch and
are not supposed to be imported by git design.

GitHub certainly supports release tagging. The PR merging bot is not
(and probably should not be) responsible for releases, including release
tagging.

FWIW, in March 2018 email to Amos, I have already tried to explain the
design approach behind git tagging and offered a specific short-term
tagging solution. I did not get a response.