[squid-users] Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Fri Aug 17 16:22:44 UTC 2018

I cannot tell you how to do it with DNS entries since I think it is impossible and therefore I asked Benjamin to explain.

Allowing one single video and blocking all other videos on Youtube is not easy.
One cannot block by domain but must filter by full URL.
When HTTPS is used, full URLs can only be obtained/filtered using ssl_bump in peek+bump mode which is doable but not easy.
Once you have peek+bump working you can make two categories in ufdbGuard:
    category youtube with
       youtube.com/watch
    category allowedyoutubevideos with
       youtube.com/watch?v=ff9sDLGtnK8
and an acl like
    acl {
       allSystems {
          pass allowedyoutubevideos !youtube ...
       }

The above allows access to www.youtube.com but not to the blocked videos.
This is necessary since the youtube site also uses a set of URLs like
     https://www.youtube.com/sw.js
     https://www.youtube.com/service_ajax?name=signalServiceEndpoint
     etc.
which all must be allowed to be able to display/allow your single video.

Marcus