[squid-users] Squid + Squidguard Youtube URL video filtering

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 16 13:17:54 UTC 2018

On 17/08/18 00:43, Roberto Carna wrote:
> Dear, I have Squid + Squidguard working OK.
>
> Squidguard is filtering the entire www.youtube.com website.
>
> But now I have to permit just one video from Youtube:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> I have added the below URL as an exception in Squidguard:
>
> www.youtube.com/embed/ff9sDLGtnK8?rel=0&showinfo=0
>
> but after that I can't see it, still blocked.
>
> How can I enable just this URL from Squidguard preferently blocking
> the rest of Youtube ???

Unfortunately only with a great deal of difficulty.

The "?v=..." and "/embed/..." URLs are just public identifiers to access
the YouTube APIs. At the HTTP level they result in a quite long series
of sub-requests, redirections and the like bouncing all over the
youtube.* and googlevideos.* and googleapis.* domains.
 Yes all of them are involved multiple times. So whitelisting is an
all-or-nothing prospect, with other G services being implicitly
whitelisted as side effects.

Also, whenever the way to decipher the above maze of traffic gets
published so we can do things like what you ask. YT shortly afterwards
change how it operates - usually towards even more complexity. This has
happened too many times to be coincidence IMO.