[squid-users] simple question Installed squid right now all internet access is blocked

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Aug 16 13:01:20 UTC 2018

On Thursday 16 August 2018 at 14:47:39, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On second thought; were you wanting to use authentication or something
> other than IPs to permit access to the proxy? such as what that installer
> script was trying to setup for you.

Based on "I am just learning nothing special no serious project" and "Just
creating squid proxy for home use, my kids and I was also curious", I thought
that was unlikely.

> That would be a different solution, but also on that FAQ page at 8.1
> "Using Proxy Authentication".

My guess is that Oldman has installed Squid on a Virtual Server he's obtained
from some Internet-based hosting provider, and is then trying to access it
from a browser on his home network.

If that's true (Oldman, I'm hoping you're still following this discussion, and
have realised that people are genuinely trying to help you), then the Squid
proxy will need a couple of lines such as:

	acl homenet src aa.bb.cc.dd
	http_access allow homenet

where aa.bb.cc.dd is the public IP of your home Internet connection.  If you
don't know what this is, you can find out from https://whatsmyip.com/ (without
using the proxy, of course).

I still advise extreme caution in running a Squid server on a public IP
address, however.

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.