[squid-users] Squid File descriptors warning

Alex K rightkicktech at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:45:31 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I observed the following warning at squid cache logs:

WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

Googling around I tried to increase the default file descriptors of the
system (I am runnign Debian9 x64 bit), by setting at /etc/sysctl.conf:

fs.file-max=802762

Restarted system. Still was receiving the warnings.

When checking further I observed that I have the following default limits:

ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 15338
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
*open files                      (-n) 1024*
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 15338

Where the "open files" seems to be the related one.

I set also the following at squid conf:

max_filedescriptors 65535

I am running a compiled version 3.5.23.

I am not sure I have done the correct steps or if I need to tweak the
ulimits also.
Any experience from your side?

Thanx,
alex