[squid-users] compiler Error

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 2 10:54:42 UTC 2018

On 02/08/18 09:49, joseph wrote:
> ya gcc 8 is paranoid strict every one know that i disable
> -Wno-maybe-uninitialized
> got more and more and now gcc8 is standard in debian  so yadij  know all
> about he start converting code hoop he will continue spetial the bad one
> pconn.cc: In member function ‘void PconnPool::push(const
> ConnectionPointer&, const char*)’:
> pconn.cc:435:32: error: ‘%s’ directive output may be truncated writing
> up to 777 bytes into a region of size 51 [-Werror=format-truncation=]
>      snprintf(desc, FD_DESC_SZ, "Idle server: %s", aKey);
>                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> pconn.cc:435:13: note: ‘snprintf’ output between 14 and 791 bytes into a
> destination of size 64
>      snprintf(desc, FD_DESC_SZ, "Idle server: %s", aKey);
>      ~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Debian Sid repository has 4.1 code with an early version of the
GCC-8 patch in it. That should build fine with the sanitizers Debian
auto-enable plus a few others we auto-enable upstream.

If you are building from Squid Project repository or tarballs, please
use the latest snapshot of the v4 branch (not v4.0 which is obsolete).
The final GCC-8 fixes did not quite make it in time for 4.1 release, but
are already included for 4.2 which should be available in a few days.

Note that there are still some sanitizers that we cannot enable because
either they have bad false positives, or the code is not yet fixed. If
you enable such checks YMMV. Bug reports and patches/ github PR are
welcome but please use the proper process for submission. Not just
informing the world that you don't know how to compile Squid :-P.