[squid-users] Squid with squidguard

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Apr 26 01:02:27 UTC 2018

On 25/04/18 23:44, Alex K wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was using a squid (3.1.20) + squidguard setup (to filter out several
> site categories) on Debian 7 and the setup worked. The squidguard was
> invoked from squid.conf as below:
>
> redirect_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
> redirect_children 7
>
> I am now testing the setup on Debian 9 (with squid 3.5.23) with the
> following lines in squid.conf:
>
> url_rewrite_access allow

There are no ACLs on the above line. So it cannot match anything. The
implicit default applies instead. Implicit default after any "allow"
line is "deny all".

Also, you did not configure any allow/deny previously. So why add it now?

> url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
> url_rewrite_children 5
>
> But I get at squid logs:
>
> 2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: Starting 0/5 'squidGuard'
> processes
> 2018/04/24 12:06:57 kid1| helperOpenServers: No 'squidGuard' processes
> needed.

No traffic is allowed to go to the helper. So no SG processes necessary.
Squid is correct.

> Seems that squid is ignoring and not starting squidguard.
> I have read also some have mentioned that squidguard is not maintained
> anymore.
>
> Any idea on the above?> Any better alternative to squidguard that you recommend?

ufdbguard is much better than the outdated and no longer maintained
SquidGuard (but is not packaged on Debian).