[squid-users] SSLBump and squid process CPU usage

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Apr 24 14:09:23 UTC 2018

On 04/24/2018 06:14 AM, masterx81 wrote:

> I've configured squid with ssl_bump and now the squid process (not the
> helpers) takes quite load. There aren't too much clients on it (max 50).

> I've already increased the number of vcpu for the machine, but the only
> process that i see eating cpu is squid, the helpers aren't eating a lot.
> There is something that i miss or optimize in the config, or simply the
> sslbump requires a lot of resources?

I have not studied your configuration, but doing SSL encryption and/or
decryption (including the SslBump "bump" action) does require a lot of
CPU cycles. Enabling bumping may decrease sustained peak throughput by
70% or more.

If your users are suffering, and your machine has spare physical CPU
cores, consider using SMP Squid:
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale