[squid-users] Client to proxy encryption for Internet Explorer

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Apr 20 18:25:50 UTC 2018

On 21/04/18 05:53, Panagiotis Bariamis wrote:
> Hello ,
> I have managed to set up a forward Secure squid proxy (tls) .
> Although Mozzila (through a pac file with "RETURN HTTPS x.y.z:443) and
> chrome (with command line argument "--proxy-server="https://x.y.z" )
> work OK with the squid proxy , Internet Explorer seems as if doesn't
> support that function .
> Are there any other configuration in Internet Explorer to work or some
> auxiliary program for windows to support squid server with directive
> https_port for forward proxying ?

Unfortunately the answer there is "no" in regard to IE support. AFAIK
the MS team working on IE also have no plans to add it. IE is formally
on its way towards deprecation so major new functionality like that is
highly unlikely to happen. Their Edge browser may be a different story.

There are a number of tools for tunneling traffic over a proxy but they
tend to be for non-HTTP(S) protocols to go over a regular HTTTP
forward-proxy.

Which leaves only the SSL-Bump functionality in Squid to MITM the traffic.