[squid-users] Squid is very slow after moving to production environment

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Apr 14 08:08:16 UTC 2018

On 13/04/18 05:55, Roberto Carna wrote:
> People, I can't test de new proxy in the production environment
> because I affect the users. I think is a good idea to add 10/15 users
> to my new proxy, and test it with users from my IT area. Maybe the
> problem is Dansguardian....I don't know.
>
> I'm seeing pfSense use Squidguard in place of Dansguardian....is this
> a better option to block sites and with better performance???

SquidGuard is deprecated software and no longer maintained. Modern Squid
can do almost everything it provided, and the remaining cases can/should
use ufdbguard instead.

DansGuardian is also in a similar position. I'm not sure if it is being
maintained still or not, there is an e2Guardian fork project that has a
lot more recent updates though.

As for performance it depends on what you have them doing:

* URL-rewrite helpers (eg SquidGuard) work by having Squid generate a
second transaction from the "redirected" URL results. That slows down
and uses more memory than regular request processing in Squid.

* chained proxies (eg DansGuardian) require the traffic to be formatted
as HTTP traffic during each hop delivery and re-parsed re-processed by
every proxy along the way. Which naturally adds a bunch of delay overheads.

As a general rule; the less you have SquidGuard doing the more efficient
it is. The less you have DansGuardian doing the more those re-parse
overheads reduce any performance gains.