[squid-users] disable access.log logging on a specific entrys

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 20 14:55:07 UTC 2017

On 21/09/17 01:42, Holger Wybranietz wrote:
 > Hello Amos,
 >
 > Yast doesn't show any newer version then 3.5.21 (you meant 3.5.27 is
 > working fine?).

Yes. I tested with 3.5.27, 4.0.21, and latest v5 code. All hide the log
entries when !logNoSpamresolver is used.

 > By the way:
 > The entrys I want to get filtered are similar to:
 >
 > 192.168.12.84 - - [18/Sep/2017:15:22:40 +0200] "POST
 > /SpamResolverNG/SpamResolverNG.dll?DoNewRequest HTTP/1.1" 400 3990
 > TAG_NONE:HIER_NONE
 >
 > I think, that this is not a "normal" url, "/SpamResolverNG/Spa..." seems
 > to be a directory path?

It's called an origin-form URI and is the true form of URLs delivered to
web servers on port 80 and 443.

I suspect there is no Host header delivered by the client to allow Squid
to convert it into an absolute-form URL for proxy consumption. Which
would also explain the 400 status and *_NONE server details.

 > Is there another way to treat this kind of entries?

That depends on your definition of "treat". They are all actual traffic
consuming resources on the proxy, so it is a little odd to hide them
from view. On the other hand you are using a web server log format in a
proxy, which is very lossy anyway.

The config mentioned earlier was correct for what you tried to do. Its
odd that it was not working.

Maybe something wrong with the regex. I'm thinking unicode characters
etc not quite matching what the eyes seem to indicate - in either the
URL itself or the config regex.

It might be a good idea to try and resolve the problem in the client
software if you can;

- if the AV software is configured to use the proxy (including with
auto-config methods, WPAD/PAC etc) then it is a bug to be sending that
URL form to a proxy. The vendor may want to know and fix it since other
customers will be having the same issue and this type of bug is
security vulnerability for AV.

- if you are intercepting the traffic from port 80 or 443 somehow, then
your interception would appear to be broken. Squid should always be able
to determine the ORIGINAL_DST for intercepted traffic and transparently
deliver it there when Host is missing or invalid.