[squid-users] gateway failure

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue Sep 5 16:58:48 UTC 2017

Hey Vieri,

You can run a crontab job(s) that will run periodic tests against public dns and http(s) servers.
Also try to enable path mtu discovery which might help in some cases.
You can also try to use iptables clamp-mss  \ set-mss to either set a static or by the path mtu. Take a peek at:
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.mtu-mss.html

You can try first to use:
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1450

or:
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS  --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

Also try to actually discover the path mtu using:
# tracepath -n www.squid-cache.org

I don't know what OS you are running there but it's nice to have either munin or nagios on the squid server to debug such issues.(after you verify it's not or is mtu issue).

Let me know if you need any help setting up a couple testing scripts.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator