[squid-users] Squid doesn't reload webpage like other clients do

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Oct 31 16:53:13 UTC 2017

On 10/31/2017 02:51 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> That operational state (HTTP underway) also means RFC 7230 is the
> relevant place to look for behaviour requirements. Section 6.3.1 says:

>   A proxy MUST NOT automatically retry non-idempotent requests.

> So it depends entirely on what type of HTTP request was being performed.

Unfortunately, it is more nuanced than that. The RFC section you are
quoting lives inside the "6.3. Persistence" section about persistent
connections. It also talks about retransmitting a "sequence of
requests", further implying connection persistency scope. The old RFC
2616 even gave a very pconn-specific example as the rationale.

Squid implementation assumes that all those requirements apply to
persistent connection race conditions and only to those conditions.
Whether that is what RFC authors wanted is not clear to me. It would be
nice to clarify that with the HTTP WG. Any volunteers?