[squid-users] IPv6 only network

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 31 07:13:22 UTC 2017

On 31/10/17 18:34, xpro6000 wrote:
> Unfortunately my ISP does not provide an IPv6 IP, I need to create an
> only IPv6 network so I can test an iphone app as required by the Apple store
>
> https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6/
> <https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6/>

Squids' default behaviour is to follow BCP 177. So any use of IPv4 is a
strong indication that the server used by your app is having IPv6
connectivity issues.

see "Limitations of Local Testing" at
<https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternetWeb/Conceptual/NetworkingOverview/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition/UnderstandingandPreparingfortheIPv6Transition.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010220-CH213-SW1>.

> What I did was, I created a VPS with IPv6 support, I added the following
> to squid.conf
>
> http_port 3001
> acl port1 myport 3001

Use "myportname" ACL type. 'myport' is deprecated.

> tcp_outgoing_address 2001:19f1:9232:d4d:b757:3535:1910:412e port1
> server_persistent_connections off

Why disabling persistence? it has nothing to do with IPv4 vs IPv6.

> The config above works fine. If the website supports IPv6, it does use
> that IPv6 IP. But Squid uses IPv4 if the website does not support IPv6
>
> Is there anyway to prevent Squid to use IPv4 for outgoing connections?

IPv4 is not yet an optional protocol so technically no. But there are
several ways to safely achieve IPv6-only traffic:

* some DNS resolvers can be configured not to deliver A records.

* ensure the NIC of the machine running Squid has no IPv4 addresses.

* ensure that IPv4 space is all non-routable.

* ensure your Squid machines firewall is configured to reject (_not_
drop) IPv4 packets.

Notice how all of those are things you would need to do to make your
network *actually* IPv6-only and have nothing directly to do with Squid.