[squid-users] squid cpu usage

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 21:07:18 UTC 2017

Just in case someone else bumps into this issue, I can confirm that ulimits are not honored when running a cron job (at least from cronie).

In my case, if I set ulimits globally with:
* hard nofile 65535
* soft nofile 16384

I get this outside cron:
open files                      (-n) 16384

However, I get the following within cron:

open files                      (-n) 1024

as demonstrated by running the following test from crontab:

root	ulimit -a >/tmp/ulimit 2>&1 3>&1

So beware.

I guess one can avoid this by setting ulimits within Squid's init script, and calling that within cron.

No idea whether this is a cron bug or feature.

Vieri