[squid-users] tuning squid memory (aka avoiding the reaper)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 25 17:22:07 UTC 2017

On 10/25/2017 10:41 AM, Aaron Turner wrote:
> More testing.  This time with 4.0.21.  Disabled all caching, only
> enabled ssl bumping.  Same config as last time.  Still leaking memory.
> I took two snapshots of info & mem usage and honestly I don't see a
> smoking gun pointing to why my squid processes were getting as large
> as 1.4GB.
>
> I've attached the two files incase someone with more experience can
> find something useful.

I do not have the time to study your snapshots, unfortunately, but I do
continue to recommend that you take a lot more than two snapshots (e.g.
one snapshot every 10 minutes over a few hours of steady load) and then
either find lines with an increasing counter of alive objects OR confirm
that those lines do not exist.

A Perl script at [1] implements the above analysis, but it has not been
updated for a few years, may not work "as is" with the current mgr:mem
output format, and may need additional tuning to work well in your
specific case, so you may better off starting from scratch.

  [1] http://www.measurement-factory.com/tmp/attachments/memdiff.pl

Cheers,

Alex.