[squid-users] Opera (Win7SP1-x64) not connecting to google.com because of "HSTS"?

L A Walsh squid-user at tlinx.org
Mon Oct 23 17:51:11 UTC 2017

I've seen this before w/google in Opera -- but it doesn't seem
 to happen with IE or Palemoon (both going through my SSL-bumping proxy).
Even my housemate, going through the proxy using Chrome doesn't
get this error (it also uses the system cert location).

When I bring up the security dialog in Opera, it brings up the same
dialog I see under the Win Control Panel under Internet Settings,
the "Content" tab -- where I see Certificates.  My proxy cert is listed
under the Trusted Root Cert Authorities.

So why is Opera failing when going to google.com?
Ideas?

Thanks!
Linda

  Your connection is not private

This server could not prove that it is *www.google.com*; its security
certificate does not specify Subject Alternative Names. This may be
caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened
security for this domain.

Back to safety

        Help me understand

When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site
presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify
its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as
the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your
computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches
the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are
securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third
party (such as an attacker on your network).

You cannot visit www.google.com right now because the website uses HSTS.
Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will
probably work later.