[squid-users] Unable to get TCP_MEM_HIT (just TCP_HIT) with rock storage

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Oct 19 03:59:02 UTC 2017

On 10/18/2017 09:37 PM, duanyao wrote:

> Maybe I can implement ignoring "Vary: Accept-Encoding" as an option,
> it looks relatively simple.

It is probably simple indeed. One caveat: If you want your changes to be
officially accepted, then you may want to discuss your idea on squid-dev
first. I suspect that a long-term implementation that the Project can
accept may involve quite a bit more than an option to ignore
Vary:Accept-Encoding.

>>> 2) Use non-shared memory cache with Rock storage.

>> That is always an option, but you should not use SMP then. If you want
>> to use rock cache_dirs without SMP, start Squid with -N.

> So it's not possible to make each worker process to own a non-shared
> memory cache?

It is possible (see memory_cache_shared), but:

* you must not combine SMP Squid, rock, and non-shared memory cache and,

* IMO, you should not combine SMP Squid and non-shared memory cache
  (and/or any other SMP-unaware cache such as ufs).

If you want more information on this confusing subject, please search
the mailing list archives. The topic of combining SMP-unaware caches and
SMP has been discussed extensively.

Thank you,