[squid-users] Unable to get TCP_MEM_HIT (just TCP_HIT) with rock storage

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 18 15:17:42 UTC 2017

On 10/17/2017 11:48 PM, duanyao wrote:
> 在 2017/10/18 上午12:23, Alex Rousskov 写道:

>> The shared
>> memory cache does not support caching of Vary-controlled responses yet.

> I guess this issue will unlikely be fixed any time soon.

The timing of adding Vary caching support for the shared memory cache is
largely controlled by you and other Squid users:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F

> So is there any workaround? Something in my mind:

> 1) Configure squid to ignore "Vary: Accept-Encoding" and assume all
> clients can handle any Content-Encoding from original servers (this make
> sense in my use case).

Vary is not limited to Content-Encoding. I do not think it is possible
to configure Squid to ignore Vary (reply_header_access does not work for
that!), and even if it is possible, it will certainly break web clients
in all but the most restrictive/limited environments.

You can modify Squid code to ignore Vary, of course. Sorry, I do not
have a ready-to-use instructions for doing that. Again, disabling Vary
is a bad idea unless proxied traffic does not use Vary at all.

> 2) Use non-shared memory cache with Rock storage.

That is always an option, but you should not use SMP then. If you want
to use rock cache_dirs without SMP, start Squid with -N.