[squid-users] Squid 3.5.20 and 3.1.23 getting re-started with bogus "FATAL: Bungled" acls

Francisco Amaro famaro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 14:33:50 UTC 2017

Hi all,

So, we've been (slowly) investigating this issue these past days, and have
reached some conclusions.

a) First, and sorry for not being clear on that, this only happens on
"squid reload", not on full stop/start cycles.
A full start cycle does not give this error, that's why we are pretty sure
the issue is not a bungled ACL, per se.

b) Besides that, it only happens when the proxy has some load on it, we
have been unable to reproduce this on
our test machines, since they do not have a significant load. We've been
postponing our ACL's changes for
early morning/lunch-hour these past days, and we didn't have had a FATAL
error since last week.

c) Although we don't have non US-ASCII on the ACL's themselves, we have a
lot of them on comments, so
I've stripped down all the comments of the ACL's files and tried that on
our test bed, it didn't generare any
kind of errors, but since they do not have some load on it, we are not sure
if it was the comments stripping
or the lack of load on the server...

So, we are now searching for an "easy" way of generating traffic on a squid
server, so we can, at least, be
able to reproduce the error, so we can try the different solutions....

--
Francisco Amaro
Email: famaro at gmail.com