[squid-users] Transparent Squid

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Nov 28 13:03:43 UTC 2017

On 27.11.17 11:24, LINGYUN ZHAO wrote:
>I need Squid as a real 'transparent' proxy on Fedora without changing 5
>tuples. Is it possible?

tuples?

>The setup is simple as Client ---------- Fedora --------Server

is fedora NAT device and also running squid?

>The Squid version is 3.5.20.The key configuration on Squid as below:
>
>   http_port 0.0.0.0:3128 transparent
>
>   acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/24
>
>   http_access allow localnet
>
>And I configured a NAT on Fedora.
>
>   iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
>10.0.0.1:3128

this only works if "fedora" does the NAT and runs squid.
(just for sure)

>When I run curl on Client to server. I found the server receives the
>traffic with Fedora's IP address and different source port, instead of
>Client IP address and original source port.

when you redirect traffic tyo the squid and squid connect to the server,
it's logical that server sees squid's IP.

if you want to keep source client's IP, you need tproxy:
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4

Due to unexpected conditions Windows 2000 will be released
in first quarter of year 1901