[squid-users] ALPN, HTTP/2 and sslbump

senor frio_cervesa at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 04:15:02 UTC 2017

I am surprised that I didn't find this question asked and answered
recently. Maybe this issue is newer than I realize.

I understand that support of HTTPS/2 is in development but I'd like to
better understand what is and is not currently supported. I discovered
the other day that an intercepted client https connection, which
included both h2 and http/1.1 in the ALPN extension, was tunneled when
the server responded with only h2. I'm assuming that was due to squid
not fully supporting HTTP/2.

My initial need is to prevent the tunnel. Preferably by forcing http/1.1
and bumping but just denying the connection is second best. I'm not
aware of any squid built-in mechanisms to manage ALPN or HTTP/2 so I'm
thinking the external_acl is the only way to go. I think the client ALPN
data is available at bump step 2 but what options do I have at that point?

Help or corrections to my assumptions are appreciated.

Senor