[squid-users] ERR_ICAP_FAILURE unless squid reconfigure

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Nov 7 16:48:36 UTC 2017

On 11/07/2017 09:28 AM, Vieri wrote:

> whenever I restart c-icap, the Squid cache HTTP clients display the ERR_ICAP_FAILURE page.

Yes, when an essential ICAP service is unavailable, Squid will try
icap_service_failure_limit times and then will declare the service as
down, displaying the corresponding error to users.

> If I send the reconfigure action to the squid process then this "error" goes away.

FWIW, the error should also "go away" after icap_service_revival_delay
(provided the ICAP server is running again by that time).

> How can I avoid having to "recofnigure" squid when c-icap is restarted (if possible)?

You can increase icap_service_failure_limit or mark the ICAP service as
optional (i.e., use "bypass=on").

HTH,