[squid-users] Squid 3.5 ICAP Problems

Flashdown flashdown at data-core.org
Fri Nov 3 14:16:11 UTC 2017

Hey Guys,

I also have a long term issue with C-ICAP on many servers in different
countries.

It looks like an ICAP Queue overload happening within squid. Since after
taking a lot time in order to fine tune and debug the C-ICAP Service and
the clamav-daemon in order to ensure that it can handle the high load
and is configured properly, the ICAP suspended, down and UP messages
dissappeared entirely in the cache.log, which I had after some days,
then some weeks (after tuning the ICAP Server even more) occuring and
after some messages the performance become steady slow until squid
service is restarted. So now I have fixed the C-ICAP Server that is
using squidclamav as C-ICAP Module for in-stream scanning.
http://squidclamav.darold.net/, So I no longer can see any C-ICAP DOWN
and UP Messages anymore. Which tells me that C-ICAP seems to always have
enough workers to take the load.

So as I said now after finalizing my C-ICAP Server fine tuning,
reconfiguration and debugging. I have no more ICAP Up and down messages
and now after some weeks squid became slow again. When restarting the
squid service all works fine again until some day in some weeks where it
becomes slow again until service restart.

So I guess I need to set the right debug options for you guys, but that
would create a very big log file since it takes days or weeks until this
issue is happening. Any suggestions on what you think how I can do
debugging in the best way?

BTW: I hope I do not mix up issues here, but it seems to be related to
my issue that I am face since I was moving to a newer Version back in
the old days then squid 3.5.12 <- somewhere there this story started for
me. Unsure if it was exactliy starting with this version, some versions
later or some earlier. But well it definitely was not happening on
3.5.10 or earlier, so here I can cut it a  bit. So the issue was
definitely introduced somewhere between 3.5.11 until 3.5.18. But as I
said now I can at least fully outline the C-ICAP Server, which the cache
log confirms by not showing any down, suspended and up messages any
more.

I believe when I enforce a service restart once in the night, I will
never see this issue of slow performance caused by the C-ICAP Module
within squid anymore.

Best regards,
Enrico/Flashdown