[squid-users] How to use ipv6 address to send requests

dinoop dinoop at factweavers.com
Fri Nov 3 04:23:45 UTC 2017

I have installed Squid in one digital ocean ubuntu machine.

What I want to do is: I will send a ipv4 address to this proxy server and I
need to pick up and use a iPv6 address configured in the squid.conf. I have
added 2 ipv6 addresses in the conf file.

If I try the following command by specifying address as ipv6, it works fine.

curl -H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' --proxy localhost:3128
[2400:xxx:x:xx::xxx:a001]
ie, it will pick a random ipv6 address from the conf file and send the
request through that ip address.

If i try the following command by specifying address as ipv4, its not
working

curl -H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' --proxy localhost:3128 34.xxx.xxx.148
ie, Its not picking the ipv6 address specified in the conf file. Instead its
using the server public ip .

My /etc/squid/squid.conf file content is something like this now.

/acl one_fourth_3 random 1/2
acl one_fourth_4 random 1/1
tcp_outgoing_address 2604:xxxx:xxx:xxx::xx:a001 one_fourth_3
tcp_outgoing_address 2604:xxxx:xxx:xxx::xx:a002 one_fourth_4

http_access deny !safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localhost manager
http_access deny manager