[squid-users] TCP_DENIED/407 accessing webserver on same machine as squid

j m acctforjunk at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 16:17:23 UTC 2017

I have a webserver and squid 3.5 running on the same Linux machine.  The webserver is actually part of shellinabox, so it's only for me to access.  Shellinabox simply presents a terminal and login in a web browser.  I want it to be accessible only through squid for more security.
shellinabox works fine if I access it directly, but through squid I see this in access.log:
1495813953.860 79 204.155.22.30 TCP_TUNNEL/200 1440 CONNECT IP:PORT USER HIER_DIRECT/IP
1495813962.001 0 204.155.22.30 TCP_DENIED/407 4397 CONNECT IP:PORT USER HIER_NONE/- text/html

I've replaced the real IP, PORT, and USER with those words, however the real PORT is a nonstandard port number. There are some other posts I found mentioning a 407 error and it was said it occurs when the webpage is asking for authentication. However I don't understand this, since shellinabox only display a login prompt which I wouldn't think would be a problem. Another post said a 407 is when squid auth is failing, but I can get to external websites through squid.

Does it matter that what I'm trying to access is HTTPS instead of HTTP?