[squid-users] SSL bump, SSL intercept, explicit, secure proxy, what is it called?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed May 24 14:17:53 UTC 2017

On 05/24/2017 06:56 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 24/05/17 13:44, j m wrote:
>> So firstly, what is the actual name for what I want (encrypting proxy
>> to browser)?

> Some people seem to be calling it "HTTPS", but that is not correct and
> thankfully makes it difficult to find the bad info.

What makes you think that "HTTPS proxy" is an incorrect term? That is
the term I have seen used the most, and that is the term I would use.
That is also the term that allows to locate relevant documents by googling.

> The current IETF term for it is "TLS explicit proxy". 

Any supporting references? Neither Google nor I remember that term, and
the term itself seems inferior to "HTTPS proxy" -- the proxy in question
expects HTTP traffic underneath TLS so "HTTPS proxy" fits better IMHO.


More information about the squid-users mailing list