[squid-users] SSL bump, SSL intercept, explicit, secure proxy, what is it called?

j m acctforjunk at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 01:44:19 UTC 2017

I'd like to set up a proxy on a home server so I can use it remotely for web browsing; no filtering, nothing fancy, just a pass-through of sorts to get around web filters.  That part I've got working.  The part I haven't had luck with is encrypting the browser-to-proxy connection.  I've found some tutorials online but part of the problem is I don't know what this feature is called when searching for solutions to problems.
I have squid 3.5.23 on Ubuntu compiled with
'--with-openssl' '--enable-ssl' '--enable-ssl-crtd'
so I believe I'm set there.  However, upon finally getting a squid.conf that doesn't cause immediate errors when squid is started, I find that the squid process is gone after several seconds and find lots of these in syslog:
(squid-1): The ssl_crtd helpers are crashing too rapidly, need help!

I found a suggestion to fix this problem, but it didn't help:
rc-service squid stoprm -rf /var/lib/ssl_db/usr/lib/squid3/ssl_crtd -c -s /var/lib/ssl_db rc-service squid start

So firstly, what is the actual name for what I want (encrypting proxy to browser)?
And secondly, any advice on the error?  Or even better, a good tutorial on setting this up?  I thought if I follow a configuration exactly, I'd be off and running with little problem.