[squid-users] Problem with Squid3 Authentication ( after sambaupgrades )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue May 23 07:09:46 UTC 2017

Hi Amos and others.

Its not a "samba" thing or a squid thing.
Maybe in the end yes, but this is a configuration thing.

For you guys to know, samba AD DC setup this parameter as default :
 ldap server require strong auth = yes
Which obligates the use of TLS.

Next, users dont configure /etc/ldap/ldap.conf when they use TLS.
Squid and samba may need the CA root if you use TLS.
Which should to in ldap.conf
TLS_CACERT      /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
TLS_REQCERT allow

Samba sets these days:
ntlm auth = no
Laman auth = no

Which disables NTLMv1 and last, users dont know kerberos and the need of A/PTR records.

For others, i've posted a example auth setup and smb.conf setup for squid on Debian Jessie.
Tested as of squid 3.4.8 upto 3.5.24. ( with and without ssl bumping )
Google for : Problems with Samba 4.6.3 Authentication
Post date 23-may 2017

When upgrading samba/winbind as of 4.2 upto 4.5 or 4.6.
You MUST read the change logs at least for every samba 4.X.0 version. \
At least 4.2.0 4.3.0 4.4.0 4.5.0 and 4.6.0

https://www.samba.org/samba/history/
Look a the smb.conf changes.
Like this one for 4.5 :
smb.conf changes

  Parameter Name                Description             Default