[squid-users] 503 service unavailable on connection refused

Dominic Kim style9595 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 09:01:36 UTC 2017

When I connect to a target server via squid, if server does not exist, I
get "No route to host" error.
And if server exist, but port is not opened yet, I get "Connection refused"
error.

As per the definition of "connect_retries" option, it should retry when
connection attempt failed.
(reference: http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/connect_retries/)

IMHO, in both the cases, connection attempts failed and it is supposed to
retry.
However, if I enable this feature, it only retries on "No route to host"
error.
In case of "Connection refused", I am getting 503 service unavailable error
immediately.

Are there anyway to fix this behavior?
Kindly help me.

Thanks