[squid-users] Change are not taking

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat May 20 11:22:26 UTC 2017

On 20/05/17 05:13, Patrick Flaherty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am making changes to my squid.conf, yet they don’t seem to take. Is
> there something I’m missing? Any help appreciated

 From the changes below it looks like you are attempting to configure a
reverse-proxy. Relevant changes below:

> # Squid Proxy Configuration
>
> # Network(s) where proxy traffic is originating
>
> # acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8          # RFC1918 possible internal network
>
> # acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12   # RFC1918 possible internal network
>
> # acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16 # RFC1918 possible internal network
>
> acl localnet src all

Remove the above change.

> # acl and http_access ("rmsc.txt")
>
> acl whitelist dstdomain "c:/squid/etc/squid/rmsc.txt"
>
> http_access        allow     whitelist

Move this section down to the place marked below.

> acl http      proto      http
>
> acl https     proto      https
>
> acl SSL_ports port 443
>
> acl Safe_ports port 80                    # http
>
> acl Safe_ports port 443                  # https
>
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
>
> # rules allowing proxy access
>
> http_access allow http  Safe_ports whitelist localnet
>
> http_access allow https SSL_ports whitelist localnet

Remove the above http_access lines.

> # Deny requests to certain unsafe ports
>
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
>
> # Deny CONNECT to other than secure SSL ports
>
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports

This is where the whiltelist lines should be placed.

> # Lastly deny all other access to this proxy
>
> http_access deny all
>
> # Listens to port 3128
>
> http_port 3128

Add this line:
  http_port 80 accel

> # DNS servers (Change dns_nameservers to client dns servers for
> consistency and better performance)
>
> dns_nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

NP: Google DNS server farm design causes DNS results to churn on every
single request. This breaks HTTP/1.x connection persistence, pipeline
and multiplexing performance features. If you want these performance
enhancing features to work properly you should run your own local DNS
resolver and have Squid and the LAN use that.

> # Roll log file daily and keep 30 days
>
> logfile_rotate 30
>
> # Access log format
>
> logformat squid %tl %6tr %>a %Ss/%03>Hs %<st %rm %ru %un %Sh/%<A %mt

Do not re-define the "squid" default logformat the result will not be
what you want.
If you need something that is not provided by one of the default formats
use a format name of your own choosing name.

> # Debug (Only used by Rave Service Personnel)
>
> # debug_options             ALL,2
>
> # Use IPv4 based DNS first
>
> dns_v4_first on
>
> # Log definitions
>
> access_log stdio:c:/Squid/var/log/squid/access.log
>
> cache_store_log stdio:c:/Squid/var/log/squid/store.log
>
> buffered_logs on

.. and finally as Dijixie mentioned dont forget to reload Squid.

PS: If you are using Squid-3 on one of the latest Linux with systemd
that may need to be a full stop/start cycle to make sure it works due to
problems systemd has with services like Squid-3.