[squid-users] How to redirect all squid's error pages to one?

Dijxie dijxie at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:22:15 UTC 2017

W dniu 19.05.2017 o 17:16, Amos Jeffries pisze:
> On 20/05/17 02:55, Dijxie wrote:

>>> deny_info is to provide some non-default response payload (aka.
>>> "page") instead of the 403 when an ACL performs administrative
>>> denial of access.
>>>
>>> As to your purpose; What is this universal message that conveys all
>>> possible environmental conditions to the reader in one simple text?
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that the reader may not be human; some errors are
>>> explanations of indirect problems and only visible when the
>>> accompanying machine instructions reach a failure (eg 30x, 401, 407
>>> messages); and some are not errors at all but instructions for a
>>> user on what they need to do to continue with communication (eg 511
>>> login pages).

>>> Squid is not a web server. On "error" it produces message payloads
>>> which happen to contain HTML by default. Modern HTML can contain
>>> embedded scripts, but they are not interpreted by Squid as anything
>>> beyond opaque characters.
>>>

>>> If you redirect all errors to one URL any information the client
>>> might have had about the error is destroyed.
>>>
>>> The symlinking you though of is the "best" way to do what you are
>>> asking for. However, think carefully about what the purpose of
>>> displaying an error message is, see above.
>>>
>>> Amos

>> The purpose is to provide unified, debug info for 1st line of
>> support. End users in my corpo are not best IT trained people in the
>> world and they tend to open tickets for any reason, usually pasting
>> printscreen into ticket.
>> Simple debug info like: IP, user name, client name, cache name in
>> short list would help service desk to divide "moronic" tickets from
>> important ones, and as for default squid info pages... user do not
>> read them anyway. I do not want to remove error codes, I just want to
>> remove content of most error pages and replace it with unified
>> message that also contains raw error code (%e, %E) and add some more
>> information if %e will be nxdomain or access denied for example.
>> Unfortunately, I'm far from VPN right now, so I cannot show you the
>> sample "unified" error page I've commited till now.
>>
>> But indeed, you have striked the home; cache users are both human and
>> machine$ AD accounts, I must reconsider that. Perhaps parsing all
>> error pages with sed ie and adding few lines will be easer and more
>> convenient, anyway.
>> I know that squid is not web serwer, but error page is html; I assume
>> it can contains iframe served from external web server and this will
>> be rendered by client's browser, not squid? My idea was:
>> - js nested in squid error page looks for error code
>> - then redirects nested iframe to specific URL hosted on external
>> httpd depending on error code. If error code is unimportant for human
>> (user can do nothing with that anyway), iframe stays blank.
>> - human client has has his explenation like "this is your error, do
>> not open ticket please, check your URL again" for nxdomain.

> [...]

It would be yet another explanatory link they don't ever click,
unfortunately. But yes, I know it would be a better approach. This is an
organizational and 'political' issue and me myself can do nothing about it.
malto: is alredy removed - they cannot open tickets this way and we do
not want to be flooded by emails like that.

That was my pimal idea: simle database/array that contains some criteria
like:
if %e is bad gateway and %I=10.10.10.69 and %i=10.22.0.0/16 then iframe
says: "we alredy told you 10000 times that you shall not try to access
%H server from %i network". Then I could give user info database's
managment to the people in service desk so they can change info
depending on the buisiness circumstances - without reconfiguration of
all squids (that should be identical because of LB and FO) and harrasing
my department of course :)

If they (end users) open a ticket in circumstances they were precisely
instructed not to do so, they (their company) are extra charged. If they
open a ticket because they do not know what to do, service desk folks
have to do unnecessary work for nothing. And common practice is
everybody forgets to inform users and service desk about changes or 3rd
party supporting companies change something on their machines causing
huge mess and 2300 identical tickets within an hour; I'm just trying to
provide  kind of dynamic, easy managed and functional error page that
can provide basic explenation for end users if needed.

So: js/jq + external iframe in error page(s) is something that does not
violate standards? Let's not talk about common sense here ;)

Greets, Dijx