[squid-users] How to redirect all squid's error pages to one?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri May 19 13:13:32 UTC 2017

On 20/05/17 00:44, Dijxie wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> 1. I'd like to redirect **all** squid error pages to one, universal,
> preferably internal squid error page. For sure I can symlink every
> error page to one, but is there a clener way?
> I'm not sure if I get it: http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/deny_info/

deny_info is to provide some non-default response payload (aka. "page")
instead of the 403 when an ACL performs administrative denial of access.

As to your purpose; What is this universal message that conveys all
possible environmental conditions to the reader in one simple text?

Keep in mind that the reader may not be human; some errors are
explanations of indirect problems and only visible when the accompanying
machine instructions reach a failure (eg 30x, 401, 407 messages); and
some are not errors at all but instructions for a user on what they need
to do to continue with communication (eg 511 login pages).

> 2. And then, using %e code and presumably external js nested in this
> page, display more detailed info for some error numbers.
>
> Can it be done? Can squid internal web server handle easy js?

Squid is not a web server. On "error" it produces message payloads which
happen to contain HTML by default. Modern HTML can contain embedded
scripts, but they are not interpreted by Squid as anything beyond opaque
characters.

If you redirect all errors to one URL any information the client might
have had about the error is destroyed.

The symlinking you though of is the "best" way to do what you are asking
for. However, think carefully about what the purpose of displaying an
error message is, see above.