[squid-users] ICAP Persistent Connections vs Retries (with code review)

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sun May 14 19:07:44 UTC 2017

Hey Juan,

Without delving into ICAP and HTTP semantics you should notice\remember one thing:
Proxies which are performing as an ICAP client should not care about a scenario which a single TCP connection is being used for a single query.
If indeed you find that this scenario, which many connections are being opened and closed towards the ICAP service, affects your service I believe you should rethink things over.
The directions you should think are:
 - Software(OS or Squid or ICAP service)
 - Hardware (CPU, RAM)
 - Network (Network interfaces, Cables Switches)

I can testify that for HTTP content filtering and adaptation there are much more efficient pieces of software out there(which includes internal content adaptation).

With the above in mind you should not really care too much about new TCP connections per request.
If you see some performance degradation in your environment I would recommend your to create a "check list" which will help you to decide what direction you should choose.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

* Let me know if you need some help with the check list or software which you can test.

----
http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/
Linux System Administrator