[squid-users] Passing Windows username to parent proxy

BurningSky sam.egerton at ntlworld.com
Wed May 3 10:47:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have been searching around the web for a while now to try and find a
solution but having not had much luck I was wondering if someone on here
could help.

I have set up a Windows 2008 R2 server running the Diladele pre-complied
Squid 3.5 proxy and am looking to make use of our firewall for URL
filtering. Our firewall allows/denies access to certain web sites by using
the AD group memberships of the Windows end user.

I have managed to get a basic config up and running and am using the line
below to forward the traffic via the proxy setup on our firewall. If I point
the end user machine directly at the firewall then the filtering works but
the firewall doesn't have caching, thus wanting to use Squid.
cache_peer whl-utm1.e2v.com parent 3128 0 no-query default login=PASSTHRU

As I am new to Squid I thought, perhaps naively, that the end user domain
username would automatically be forwarded on with the requests to the parent
but in the parents log file I just seem to see the username of the account
that I have RDPed to the server on, not of the end user machine that the
request is coming from.

Do I need to enable some form of dummy authentication on the Squid proxy and
is this possible when running the Windows based version of the Squid proxy?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!