[squid-users] Squid stopped working after cache.log and access.log rotation

Chee M Gui cheemeng at function.com
Wed Mar 22 15:17:32 UTC 2017

Hi All

We recently installed Squid 3.5.12-1ubuntu7.3 on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS.  It
ran fine at first but stopped working after a while.   telnet server 3128
still works, i.e., opens a blank window, but Squid is just not accepting
requests.    Then we realized that there is no new access.log file.   The
access.log file stopped rotated at 6:24AM on 3/17/2017.    It looks like
Squid wasn't able to create a new access.log?  We could not find any error
message in syslog or the cache.log.      We haven't rebooted the server
because we want to know what went wrong.   It isn't the firewall blocking
Squid because Squid was working fine all the while until recently.  Also
after it stopped working, we disabled the firewall to see if it would work
but it still didn't work.

root at paproxy:/var/log/squid# ls -alt
total 15536
drwxr-xr-x 2 proxy proxy      4096 Mar 21 06:25 .
-rw-r----- 1 proxy proxy        63 Mar 21 06:25 cache.log
drwxrwxr-x 9 root  syslog     4096 Mar 21 06:25 ..
-rw-r----- 1 proxy proxy        63 Mar 20 06:25 cache.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 proxy proxy        83 Mar 19 06:25 cache.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 proxy proxy  15759111 Mar 17 06:24 access.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 proxy proxy    117223 Mar 17 05:52 netdb.state