[squid-users] SMP and AUFS

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Mar 20 18:19:58 UTC 2017

> Well, I personally will still be curious how much does SMP affect the
> case of one worker and one or more diskers...

I do not understand why you are asking this question in AUFS context.
AUFS does not use diskers! Today, only Rock store uses diskers (in SMP
mode). Some other [ufs-based] cache stores use various helper threads
and processes for I/O as well, but those helper processes are not
diskers or even kids in SMP terminology.

> do diskers only provide I/O to the requestor?

Diskers primary function is low-level disk cache I/O. Like all kids,
diskers respond to cache manager requests and Squid management events
(e.g. shutdown and reconfiguration). IIRC, diskers also build in-RAM
cache_dir index.

    http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale#Terminology

HTH,