[squid-users] SMP and AUFS

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Mar 19 17:08:58 UTC 2017

On 03/18/2017 11:11 PM, senor wrote:

> There are many references in the squid wiki, FAQ and Knowlegebase about
> SMP but I don't see any of them reflecting the concerns you have brought
> up.

There is a paragraph about these problems at [1] (search for "ufs") but
I agree that better documentation, including wiki and
squid.conf.documented changes/additions would be nice.

  [1] http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale

> My point in mentioning that there are a lot of installations using
> SMP and AUFS is that something widely used but buggy tends to be brought
> up on this email list and I haven't seen it.

IIRC, it has been brought up several times on the mailing lists and in
Bugzilla. Once you dedicate each ufs-based store to each individual
worker, most of the problems become subtle, often "invisible" to an
admin because they "break" transactions, not Squid, especially if you do
not use a mixture of ufs-based and rock stores. Using mailing list as an
indicator that as subtle problem does _not_ exist is a risky strategy IMO.