[squid-users] pinger without peers

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Mar 15 02:55:24 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 10:28 p.m., Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 10/03/2017 6:36 a.m., Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> does it have sense to run pinger without having cache peers configured?
>>>
>>> if I get the "Network DB Statistics:" output properly, it seems that
>>> 33% of
>>> hosts is unreachable.
>
> On 10.03.17 08:33, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> The code using it is called peer-selection, but that includes choosing
>> between origin servers (DIRECT) as well as cache_peer lines. So it can
>> affect traffic routing even if you dont have cache_peer. Though less
>> that RTT based cache_peer LB algorithms.
>
> does that mean pinger output is used for servers with multiple addresses?
> does it only ping servers with multiple addresses?

All servers that are selected for use get pinged, but use of the ping
results is uncommon, usually the data comes back far too late to affect
the immediate transaction IME. It is probably of some use on persistent
connections.

>> The sad results are due to admin ICMP echo blocking. Hopefully that is
>> all they are blocking though and not other mandatory ICMP codes like
>> path-MTU discovery.
>
> of course. But since I'm trying to solve different problem, I'm thinking of
> trurning off everything that can cause issues.

Nod. It is of minor relevance on most Gbit speed (or even Mbit speed)
networks today.