[squid-users] SSL Bump and Certificate issue - RapidSSL Intermediate Cert

stylemessiah adrian.m.miller at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 01:57:30 UTC 2017

>That command you used does not send data through the proxy. So that
>confirms that the servers TLS is broken in a way unrelated to Squid.

As that may be, when i go direct (sans proxy) i get thumbnails...no issues
Toggle the proxy back on and no thumbnails, and opening an image link gives
the
error initially reported.

(71) Protocol error (TLS code:
 X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY)

SSL Certficate error: certificate issuer (CA) not known:
/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=RapidSSL SHA256 CA

So both Ie and FF will just load anything from dl.xda-developers.com and not
register an issue, but squid will refuse to load the content and generate
the error

>You need to locate the root CA and/or intermediate CA certificates used
>to sign the domain servers certificate.

>You then need to identify *why* they are not being trusted by your OS
>library.

>Be sure to determine whether the CA which is missing is actually
>trustworthy before adding it to your trusted set. More than a few of the
>CA which are around are not trusted because they have been hacked or
>caught signing forged certificates they should not have.

I aalways learn something when youre silly enough to reply :)

When i ran dl.xda-developers.com through ssllabs (thanks google), it gave
me a less than glowing report, including
an incomplete cert chain (i say that like i understand it :) ) or as it put
it:

This server is vulnerable to the OpenSSL CCS vulnerability (CVE-2014-0224)
<https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2014/06/13/ssl-pulse-49-vulnerable-to-cve-2014-0224-14-exploitable>
and exploitable. Grade set to F.
This server is vulnerable to the OpenSSL Padding Oracle vulnerability
(CVE-2016-2107)
<https://blog.cloudflare.com/yet-another-padding-oracle-in-openssl-cbc-ciphersuites/>
and insecure. Grade set to F.
This server accepts RC4 cipher, but only with older browsers. Grade capped
to B.  MORE INFO ยป
<https://community.qualys.com/blogs/securitylabs/2013/03/19/rc4-in-tls-is-broken-now-what>
This server's certificate chain is incomplete. Grade capped to B.

Full report here for the curious:
https://globalsign.ssllabs.com/analyze.html?d=dl.xda-developers.com&hideResults=on

For a few thumbnails im not going to torture myself, maybe ill send the
forum admin a note instead :)

>PS.  EECDH will not work unless you configure a curve name in the
>tls-dh= option. Just having dhparam.pem alone will only enable the less
>secure DH ciphers.

I did add a curve to the tls-dh param, im guessing tis correct, little info
on which one to use (grabbing the list from my local openssl had me going
what the hell)

tls-dh=prime256v1:/cygdrive/e/Squid/etc/ssl/dhparam.pem

Note: this made no difference whatsoever with my issue

Cheers,

Adrian Miller

--
I hate to advocate *drugs*, *alcohol*,* violence *or
*insanity* to anyone, *but* they've *always* worked for* me*

- Hunter S. Thompson