[squid-users] i want squid return value or log something when authentication of user succeeded

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jun 23 19:43:38 UTC 2017

On 23/06/17 23:21, --Ahmad-- wrote:
> hello folks ,
>

> basically i need to have any log or return value from squid once any user get authenticated .
>
> as an example , if user A authenticated i can see that in access_log the username in default log format .
>
> but what i want is like more details like the 1st time the user get authenticated .
>
> and if the user closed his session and opened his browser and put the user/pwd again i want to be logged on that action .

HTTP is a stateless protocol. There is no session concept at the level
Squid operates. That is a purely web-application-layer thing in the browser.

A browser being shutdown and re-opened is indistinguishable to Squid
from a browser simply opening a new TCP connection. Which happens
routinely without the browser being shutdown anyway, since browsers use
8+ (up to several hundred) of TCP connections in parallel.

So while there is a "first" authentication (as in "first ever" or "first
since N minutes ago"), there is no "last".

> is there anything in log format help me view that action in cache.log ?
>

> Do you recommend other external helpers for that ?

To get the details you ask for, look at what the helper can report in
its debug output, or adding a wrapper script around it that does the
logging you want.

BUT, it should be clear from the info I gave above that what you seek is
simply not going to be visible in any information Squid or its helper
can log.
  What the access.log entry is saying is just "this request had
credentials for X, they were checked and valid when this transaction
started.". Nothing about any session thing.