[squid-users] squid 4.0.20 does not recognize ssl-bump option.

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Jun 18 22:53:15 UTC 2017

On 06/18/2017 09:49 AM, meym wrote:
>> On 06/17/2017 10:09 AM, meym wrote:
>>> Squid Cache: Version 4.0.20
>>> "FATAL: Unknown http_port option 'ssl-bump'."
>>
>> Your Squid thinks it was built without OpenSSL support. OpenSSL support
>> is required for SslBump. Examine your ./configure options and output.

> With libressl actually.

I do not know what you mean by that remark exactly, but what I said
applies to any library providing OpenSSL API, including LibreSSL. Moreover:

* Squid does not know anything about LibreSSL. Somebody added the
letters "LibreSSL" to squid.conf.documented, but that was a mistake IMO.

* Primary SslBump developers do not normally use or test with LibreSSL.

* LibreSSL provides OpenSSL API so you can tell Squid to use LibreSSL as
if it was OpenSSL, and things should work as well as with OpenSSL itself
if (and only if) LibreSSL does a good job providing that OpenSSL API.

* LibreSSL does not do a good job providing OpenSSL API and/or Squid
does not do a good job detecting OpenSSL API variations in a
LibreSSL-compatible way (depending on your point of view). See bug #4662
for more details.

There have been recent improvements in LibreSSL-compatibility area, but
I am not sure those improvements (or the problems) are in your Squid
version and, at any rate, are taking significant additional risks by
using LibreSSL with SslBump. Whether those risks are worth using
something other than OpenSSL is your call, of course.