[squid-users] Introducing Charcoal - Centralised URL Filter for squid

Nishant Sharma codemarauder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 09:59:21 UTC 2017

Hi Eliezer,

On Saturday 17 June 2017 12:37 PM, Eliezer  Croitoru wrote:
> I wanted to be sure I am not day-dreaming but from the code it seems that every request is given a single TCP connection.
> Am I right?
> If so there is much to improve.
> You can use the same tcp connection for more then a single request and also have a reconnect option for the very far from realiy case of a closed connection.

Your observation is correct.

We have updated the helper with the latest commit
https://github.com/Hopbox/charcoal-helper/commit/2cd3a0f985c2083046267eee82f6c7df16113113

It tries to address the issues you mentioned, but is not yet ideal.
Since, it is invoked by squid, number of children started depends on
squid. Total no. of sockets in states ESTABLISHED & CLOSE_WAIT are equal
to the number of helper children started by squid.

May be, the helper architecture could be changed such that a parent
process creates a pool of network connections that children use. Thus,
limiting the number of sockets being used at any moment. And squid
controls the number of those parent processes.

Regards,
Nishant