[squid-users] RV: squid

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Jun 16 15:51:56 UTC 2017

>> On 16/06/17 22:40, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> what is ftp_passive for then?

> On 16.06.17 23:49, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> For controlling how Squid gateways  "GET ftp://example.com/ HTTP/1.1"
>> requests to an FTP server. Whether it attempts PASV / EPSV mode
>> commands at all, or skips straight to the fallback "active" PORT/EPRT
>> commands.

> so, where exactly does squid NOT support active mode, when it does support
> it on client's side and on the server side when gatewaying FTP commands?

It is easy to confuse the ftp_passive intent (what Amos have described
and what Squid once supported) with the actual implementation in modern
Squids: The ftp_passive option can be used to enable buggy code that
does not work.

IIRC, when adding FTP relaying, after wasting a lot of time looking for
bugs in our new code, we realized that active Squid-origin mode has been
badly broken for a while. As Amos has said, quality patches fixing that
old bug are welcomed.